Friday, May 14, 2010


Following Hobbes' surgery last month, the vet told us to keep and eye on Him to be sure that the Cancer hadn't spread. Last week, I felt that his lymph node under his leg was inflamed, but I wasn't sure, so I brought him to the vet on Monday we were referred to an oncologist. On Tuesday afternoon, at the oncologist's following some tests, we discovered that Hobbes' cancer had spread and that it is extremely aggressive and spreading rapidly. The oncologist told us that even if we did everything we could do (which would cost thousands of dollars) he might still be alive in 6-12 months. Any care that we would choose for him would be palliative. We don't feel that it would be fair to him to put him through chemotherapy and more surgery, so we asked what his prognosis would be if we chose not to go that route. The oncologist feels that he might only live for 1 to 3 months.
For us, getting Hobbes was the beginning of starting our family. Eric had never had a pet and he thought it would be a good way for us to transition from a somewhat selfish lifestyle to one where we have to care for, teach, and worry about another being in our care. He was right of course. Facing losing Hobbes before we adopt is incredibly difficult. As we have dreamed about our life with our Little One, Hobbes was always considered part of that picture. We are devastated, but trying to enjoy the time that we have left with him.


The dB family said...

We lost our dog the same way a few years ago. It's not fun!

I hope you hear very soon from the Philippines! We're only waiting three months so far, but I've been closely watching the blogs that are in the 18 month plus wait time.


Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Hobbes :( We too lost our first dog, Marley, but to a brain disease similar to cancer. Turns out he died 13 days after Ezekiel was born. I hope your last days with Hobbes are full of good memories.