Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Chasing Moose Tour - Day 1

We're on the road!

I should start by saying that for me, the day before the trip and Day 1, the day we began our trip blend into one. I was packing and getting ready for the trip, so I only slept for 2 hours before waking up at 3:45am and leaving home at 4:30am. Needless to say, Eric drove for the first leg of the trip, while I got some much needed sleep. I slept for about 2 hours then once we reached a little town called La Pocatiere, and we saw that they had a Tim Horton's we decided to get a coffee and a bagel for me and we switched drivers. I drove from La Pocatiere, QC to Sackville, NB. Eric then took over again and he drove from Sackville, NB to North Sydney, NS. We basically drove 16 hours straight from Montreal to North Sydney - just stopping for gas (and pee breaks), coffee, and an amazing sandwich.

I was pretty tired, and I was thankful that I had some Pistachios with me...munching on them helped to keep me awake while Eric got some needed shut-eye. I knew that I would not be able to drive once it started to get dark, so Eric drove in the morning, I drove during the day and he drove in the evening.

For dinner, we ate at Lick-a-Chick's in the North Sydney area...I must was some pretty good fried chicken...but my tummy was not too happy with me...the greasy food...ugh

We were early for our ferry (which was good because the alternative would have been to be driving at night through Cape Breton) So, we waited 4 hours for the ferry. We were parked in line, and we just waited, we tried to sleep - Eric was able to, but not me, my butt was not happy about being in the car after spending 16 hours I walked around a bit and looked at some travel books. We finally boarded the ferry and we walked upstairs. We followed a bunch of people in front of us and at one point, we had gone up too many levels and one of the ferry workers asked us where we were going, so Eric said we're looking for the seats. So the nice ferry worker pointed us to the "air seats". It was a darkened room full of comfy air seats. And the room was empty (well there was one other person there, but she went away later). I could not get comfortable in the "air seat" (see above about how my butt was feeling!) and so I took out my quilt, and my pillow and wrapped myself in my quilt and I laid on the floor in front of the seat and I took a gravol...just in case...and I fell asleep for 6 whole hours! Eric woke me up at 8 o'clock and the ferry arrived at 9:30am. This was one of those times where being clueless totally paid off!

p.s. Moose seen: 0

No comments: