Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Chasing Moose Tour - Day 5

I woke up at 5:00AM. I don’t know why, I just couldn’t sleep. I got up and showered and got ready and then headed out to take some photos around the b&b. We packed our things and after we had eaten, we were on our way.
A little house beside Hillside b&b

The view out our window at Hillside b&b.

We drove to Roddickton to drop off some things and have a quick visit with my friend Ruthie’s parents. It was a nice drive on secondary highways, so the roads were not as nice, but there were hardly any other drivers out there! We were about 40 minutes outside of Roddickton when we finally saw our first Moose! Actually there were two moose in a clearing on the side of the road. I stopped to take a few photos. Eric was extremely nervous, he didn’t want me to stop, I think he thought the moose were going to charge us! After a few pictures, the moose went back into the woods and we were on our way.

Once in Roddickton we had coffee with Ruthie’s parents. It was nice to get to know them a little, I’ve been friends with Ruthie for about 12 years now, but had only met her parents a few times, but it was always just a quick visit. After our visit, we headed out and began the long drive from Roddickton to Twillingate. The first third of the drive was nice, it was a nice clear day, and then when we got to the coast it was foggy! We couldn’t see the coast for all the fog. Once we got to Deer Lake it had cleared up and there was no rain for the rest of the drive. Driving through central Newfoundland reminded us of driving through northern New Hampshire or Vermont. We arrived in Twillingate at about 7:00pm We drove to the Lighthouse at the very edge of the island before heading back to our b&b.

After checking in we asked where to get some decent food on a Sunday night our host told us only one restaurant would be open – R&J’s... We were both a little nervous about going to R&J’s because the outside looked like a truck stop, but we were pleasantly surprised when we entered. The inside was nicely decorated with an amazing view of the wharf, and the food was delicious! We had cod (again!) and this was the best cod that we’ve had to date! After dinner it looked like it was going to be a beautiful sunset evening, so we headed out to find some places where we could take some pictures. We were not disappointed, the sunset was one of the most beautiful that we have ever seen and coupled with the quaint fishing village, it was perfect.

We headed back to the b&b to get some rest. I was happy to be able to connect to the internet and chat with my mom, my sis-in-law, and my friend, and to upload some pictures to the computer and catch up on some blogging.

Moose Count : 2


Patricia & Yan said...

Beautiful pictures!!
And thanks for your message on my blog; It helps me ;)

Renee and Brian said...

It sure is beautiful here!! I'm glad that you finally managed to see a moose and that you got an amazing sunset.

Tam-A-Roo said...

Extremely nervous is overstating it a little... I didn't think aproaching the moose on foot was a good idea